Date: 7th October 2007 at 8:35pm
Written by:

Cardiff City were forced into a late change when captain Stephen McPhail was ruled out by illness just minutes before kick-off – Peter Whittingham taking his place.

The game started brightly with Cardiff enjoying plenty of the ball but Burnley also competing and looking dangerous through Robbie Blake. Peter Whittingham looked to be struggling with the pace of the game and a mis-control almost led to an opening for the Clarets. Cardiff forged a good chance when McNaughton charged up the right flank and his low cross just evaded Whittingham and Robbie Fowler arriving late.

Paul Parry was getting plenty of the ball and causing problems – one run in particular showing pace and great skill to beat three defenders. Cardiff were shading possession and got their noses in front on 36 minutes. Darren Purse (on for the injured Loovens) crossed from the right, Hasselbaink and Fowler had pulled the defence apart to allow JOE LEDLEY to steam in and plant a firm header past Kiraly for his second goal in as many games.

Joe Ledley, moved to central midfield, was playing superbly. He was everywhere, constantly probing with excellent vision and passing and went so close with a 30 yard screamer, only kept out by a fantastic fingertip save from the Burnley keeper.

Burnley manager Steve Cotterill used all three substitutes at half time, changing his formation and personnel dramatically. It paid off. Substitute Ade Akinbiyi taking advantage of some hesitation in the Bluebirds’ area to nod past Oakes.

Credit to Cardiff, they bounced back from the latest comeback and worked hard to regain the advantage. The second goal came in spectacular fashion with the lively PAUL PARRY cutting in from the right and unleashing a low bullet into the bottom corner – to say it reminded of some of the Koumas strikes pays suitable tribute to the Welsh winger – a cracking effort.

Parry and a Hallebaink piledriver were saved as Cardiff continued but Burnley were pressing themselves and were puming numerous high-balls into the Cardiff box causing some distress. A nervous ending was in prospect with City desperate to hang onto their slender advantage and some opportune time-wasting towards the end saw them through to record an overdue home victory.