Date: 29th April 2009 at 9:39am
Written by:

Watford FC have been hit by a (fairly insignificant) fine after admitting a charge for failing to control their players during the 2-1 win for Cardiff City at Ninian Park last month.

The game seemed certain to end in a draw after former Bluebird Jobi McAnuff put the Hornets ahead, Jay Bothroyd equalising. However in the last few seconds a McCormack long-ranger was pushed away for a corner from which Roger Johnson headed down. The ball appeared to be heading away from goal but Watford defender Ross Jenkins inexplicably handled. McCormack stepped up to score a vital 3 points for City.

The Watford players surrounded the referee, some fans thought he was consulting the linesman before reversing hidecision but it was not a pleasant sight to see. The Hornets players were presumably devastated by the heartbreaking and needless incident – but it was a clear penalty. In truth Watford deserved a point after playing well, but thats not how football goes. It seems to be the norm now for players to accost the referee following even the clearest penalty decision.

The FA released the following statement:

“Watford admitted the charge of failing to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and the result was confirmed at a personal hearing.”

Whilst the imposed fine is only £7500, the Hornets are already struggling for cash and will not welcome a fine of any sort. Good news for Watford is that they have secured their Championship status and beat Coventry City last time out to move up to a respectable 15th place.


2 Replies to “Watford Fined For Ninian Park Fracas”

  • “heartbreaking and needless incident – but it was a clear penalty”???? Are you having a laugh? It hit poor Ross’ chest!!!!!!

  • Thats not how i saw it. He clearly moved his arm towards it, silly bloke was crouching. This is one decision i had a VERY good view of. We have been lucky to get several this season I think, but this one was a stone-waller for me.

Comments are closed.