Date: 21st September 2014 at 9:43am
Written by:

For a second weekend running Cardiff allowed a two goal lead to be lost, but unlike last Saturday this didn’t end with us suffering defeat but we had to make do with a 2-2 draw at Derby.

Danny Gabbidon and Scott Young almost got their caretaker spell, which they are hoping to extend, off to a great start with Aron Gunnarsson heading just wide with only a couple of minutes played.

Will Hughes and Chris Martin combined well with Martin almost giving Derby the lead but David Marshall, how many times has he done this, came to our rescue with a very good save.

As a mark of respect to former Derby manager Brian Clough, with the legendary manager passing away 10 years ago, there was a minute’s applause but the game went on.

Marshall again saved us to keep out a Jamie Ward effort as we struggled to get into the game and when we did we couldn’t retain the ball.

Craig Bryson would head wide another Derby chance before the break.

Going into the break level would have definitely been something we were happier with than Derby, who would have felt they should have taken at least one of their chances.

Failure to take those chances was quickly felt by Derby as we scored two goals in five minutes.

Having seen a shot of his deflected wide from the resulting corner Gunnarsson got onto the end of Matthew Connolly’s headed ball back across goal to beat Lee Grant from close range to break the deadlock.

When Peter Whittingham quickly added the second, set up by good play from Anthony Pilkington, the Bluebirds were flying.

Had we managed to keep the two goal lead for a little longer perhaps we would have seen the win out but with Jordon Ibe, brought on in the immediate aftermath of our first goal, turning home a Cyrus Christie cross just a few minutes after our second they were back in the game.

Finally the pressure Derby put on us would tell and they drew level with five minutes left.

Johnny Russell picked out Bryson and his effort from 20 yards left Marshall with absolutely no chance as it went in via the inside of the post to make it 2-2.

What we did manage to do this time though was hold on to what we had, a two goal lead wasn’t surrendered with defeat the eventual outcome like it was against Norwich last Saturday at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Having been two goals up it’s a little disappointing we didn’t win but we would have taken this before and I don’t think too many would disagree that had we won we would have been quite fortunate.

Join The Vital Debate